For any questions or information, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
NEXT AVAILABLE COHORT: FALL 2023 -
IEN 56 - starting on October 10, 2023, through to May 3, 2024 (dependent on admission numbers)
Next Virtual Information Session
- Tuesday, June 13, 2023 from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Required for the information session: access to a device that will allow you to participate in a video.Click here to register for an information session
Full-time Program - Attestation d’Études Collégiales (AEC) CWA.OK
This program is designed to allow Internationally-Educated nurses who wish to become licensed in Québec to complete the Consolidation of Nursing Skills or Professional Integration stage required by the “Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec” (OIIQ). This program also prepares the students for the Professional Licensing Examination set by the OIIQ that will allow them to practice nursing in Québec in the capacity of Registered Nurses (RN). In addition, the program offers an introduction to Québec’s culture, nursing and health care practices in a context that can be significantly different from their country of origin.
This is a FULL-TIME TUITION-FREE program funded by the Ministère de l’Éducation de l’Enseignement supérieur (MEES) providing you have established your Canadian & Québec residency status.
As of fall 2022, John Abbott College along with Cégeps Édouard-Montpetit, Limoilou, Lionel-Groulx, Sherbrooke and Vieux-Montréal have formed a consortium to ensure a centralized process of admission. All candidates must follow the steps as per the application procedure below.
The health care sector is actively searching for qualified candidates; job prospects are excellent. Graduates of the Nursing program work in many health care settings, such as acute or chronic care hospitals, rehabilitation centres, clinics and more…
Graduates of the program are expected to have the knowledge and abilities to practice nursing in a rapidly changing health care system, in a manner which is professional, caring, clinically competent and ethically and legally grounded. They will function as collaborative members of the health care team, in accordance with the Québec Nurses’ Act. All graduates must pass the Order of Nurses of Québec (OIIQ) licensing exam and meet the Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF) requirements to practice in Québec.
All graduates must pass the Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers de Québec (OIIQ)licensing exam and meet the Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF) requirements to practice in Québec.
Courses & Schedule
Fall and Winter
Duration of program
23-25 weeks (615 hours)
Classes take place Monday through Friday mostly during the day: In-Person or Online
36 days of stage
Students will participate in stages in clinical settings throughout the Montreal region (days, evenings, and possible weekends)
Consists of 4 credit courses
|Course Number||Course Title||Hours|
|180-90P-AB||Transition to Nursing in Québec||90|
|180-91P-AB||Fundamentals of Nursing||75|
|180-92P-AB||Health & Illness I||210|
|180-93P-AB||Health & Illness II||240|
|900-F02-00||Non-Credit Course – Mandatory - Français pour la santé||90|
Additional training "Formation Complémentaire"
To be offered as needed and as per the decision rendered by the Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec (OIIQ) Equivalence Committee. This can also be completed with another CEGEP from the Consortium.
- Soins infirmiers en santé mentale/ Mental Health Adult | 120 hrs
- Soins infirmiers auprès d’adultes en perte d’autonomie/ Dependent adults and Elderly persons | 105 hrs
- Soins infirmiers auprès d’enfants et adolescents / Pediatric Nursing| 90 hrs
- Soins infirmiers en périnatalité / Perinatal Nursing | 75 hrs
- Hold a nursing diploma from your native country
- Have a Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
- Hold a valid decision letter rendered by the “Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec” (OIIQ) Equilavence Committee
- Hold a comparative evaluation of studies done outside of Québec issued by “le ministère de l’immigration et des Communautés culturelles” (MICC)
- Must have completed the Level 8 Québec Francisation Program (Level of French proficiency will be tested)
- Admission Interview to evaluate English language proficiency
- Required: Good working knowledge of computer use, Word, PowerPoint, Web search, E-mail, etc
(These documents are NOT required for the application – they will be required if you are accepted to the program)
The Québec Ministry of Social Affairs has stated that all students registered in Career Programs requiring field work in hospitals must be properly immunized for certain communicable diseases. Student must show proof of proper immunization.
- Immunization Attestation Form
- Contact your CLSC immediately to make an appointment to complete your immunization record, as it is mandatory for the clinical part of the program and the process may take more than one visit before being completed.
- Effective November 9, 2022, mandatory COVID vaccination and screening of unprotected workers and students in the health and social services sector is no longer required. The Nursing department and hospitals highly recommend students be adequately vaccinated to provide protection against COVID, and ensure the safety of their colleagues, patients and vulnerable population. PCR screening is still in effect for individuals that present with COVID symptoms.
- Registration with the provincial licensing organization, the Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers de Québec (OIIQ).
- BLS CPR and First Aid certification for Health Care Providers (HCP). The Continuing Education Nursing Department will offer this course prior to the start of the program.
- A criminal background verification will be done by the individual hospitals to ensure that the student does not have a criminal record.
|Registration (per semester – based on full-time/QC residency status)||$117|
|Books & Materials (an approximate cost and may be subject to change) Candidates admitted to this program will be able to apply for loans and bursaries but may also be able to have their training financed by Services Québec (conditions apply, consult your local employment center directly).||$1100|
|Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec (OIIQ) Registration||$224.20|
Application Procedure - NEW
Application Procedure - NEW
If you are interested in registering for the Attestation of Collegial Studies “Integration into the Québec Nursing Profession prescribed by the OIIQ (CWA.OK), you must read the information below.
Registration for this AEC is only for candidates who have not started the program in another Cégep.
Only one form is required for your interest in the program offered by one of the six CEGEPs.
To complete this form, we ask that you have in your possession the decision letter of the committee for “admission par equivalence” issued by the OIIQ. You must indicate the date of the letter on this form at question 10. Without this letter, you will not be eligible for the program.
The information requested in the form will allow you to begin the application process for the program. You will have to indicate the educational institution of your choice on the “Interest Form” from the consortium.
Members of the consortium
You will be contacted at each step to properly assess your file before confirming your application to one of the CEGEPs.
Attend Information Session
Register online through our website – refer to “Important Dates” tab
Complete the interest form below
Take and pass the French test specifically required for this program (Level 8 is necessary to pass). In the event you fail the test, you can retake it in 6 months.
- Wait for one of the CEGEPs to contact you to begin your application process.
- If selected to do the program at John Abbott College, you will be contacted to attend an English Proficiency Interview with the Program Coordinator.
- After completing the interview, a link to register through SRAM will be sent to you by email.
- You will have to prepare and upload various documents necessary for your admission directly through SRAM.
- Decision letter rendered by the « Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec » (OIIQ) Equivalence Committee : Professional Integration into Nursing in Quebec Program
- Birth Certificate (English or French translation if written in a foreign language)
- Permanent Residency Card (both sides) OR Canadian Citizenship Card (both sides)
- Québec Medicare Card (RAMQ) OR Certificat de Sélection de Québec (CSQ)
- Proof of completion of nursing studies from home country (diploma & transcript)
- Comparative evaluation of studies done outside of Québec issued by « le ministère de l’immigration et des Communautés culturelles » (MICC)
When all these steps are completed, you will receive the letter of admission from the CEGEP of your choice.
Math for Medications
- Basic Math Calculations, Multiplication, Division, Decimals
- Calculators and electronic devices are NOT permitted
- Recommended sites:
- Khan Academy
- SafeMedicate: https://safemedicate.com/index.php
GOOGLE NURSING DOSAGE CALCULATIONS
FRENCH FOR NURSES
- Outils et ressources en français : Outils et ressources en français | Gouvernement du Québec (quebec.ca)
- Complete the Québec Francisation program: Apprendre le français | Gouvernement du Québec (quebec.ca)
- Take a specialized course in health/nursing
- Cégep du Vieux Montréal
514 982-3437, poste 2560
Horaire : Lundi et mercredi ou mardi et jeudi, de 18 h à 21 h
- La piqure du Français: http://piquredufrancais.ccdmd.qc.ca/exercices.php
- Soigner en Français, ça me parle : Soigner en français, ça me parle! : Free Audio : Free Download, Borrow and Streaming : Internet Archive
The Hospital Elder Life Program (H.E.L.P.) Volunteer Program of the Jewish General Hospital
The Jewish General Hospital is inviting candidates to be H.E.L.P. volunteers. This opportunity allows volunteers to be directly involved with the patient’s care plan and to work in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team.
- Duration: 104 hours in 6 months – 4 HOURS/ WEEK
- Where: Jewish General Hospital
- Reliability and capacity of attention to seniors;
- Good judgement and maturity;
- Discretion, empathy and diplomacy;
- Ability to work independently;
- Capacity to work within a hospital team (e.g. nurses, Elder life specialist, etc.)
- Bilingual (English/French) required;
- Knowledge of a third language, an asset.
- Pass the selection interview ;
- Two references from teachers;
- Pass the criminal background check process ;
- Perform the theoretical and practical training provided by the hospital.