THIS IS A MINISTRY (M.E.E.S.) FUNDED PROGRAM (Ministère de l'Éducation Ministère de l'Enseignement supérieur). Although this is not a Services-Québec purchased program, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance through your local Services-Quebec office. If eligible, ask agent to list you under our general contract # 588483-0
Information Session(s) - Virtual
It is mandatory to attend an information session if you are to be considered an eligible candidate for the program.
Required for the information session: Access to a device which will allow you to participate in a video conference.
Courses will be offered online or hybrid, with adjustments for onsite classes & workshops.
Aptitude Test results are mandatory to be considered for this program*
*if you have previously completed an aptitude test for one of our AEC’s, the results are valid for 6 months (inclusively) from the date you took the test.
Candidates are not eligible to re-test within 6 months of taking the test. You are welcome to test again after the 6 month mark.
Review information regarding Bill 96 to best prepare for the upcoming cohort:Click here to be notified once date is announced
Full-time Program - Attestation d’Études Collégiales (AEC) LEA.CB
The market for mobile application development is constantly growing. An increase in the number of smartphone users has translated into a dramatic surge in the number of apps being used by consumers.
This program, leading to the Attestation d’études collégiales, provides specialized training to meet the increasing needs for labour in this sector. Students will receive hands-on training in the development of mobile apps, establishing the foundation necessary to develop native and web-based apps, both on the iOS and Android mobile platforms.
Objectives of the program
By the end of this program, the student will be able to:
- Design the architecture of a mobile application
- Develop a mobile application
- Organize the information required in the context of mobile devices
- Manage the migration of an application between different platforms
- Plan the development of the mobile version of a website
- Ensure the quality of the application
- Release the mobile application into the market
Is this program right for me?
In order to succeed in this program, selected candidates will require basic programming skills.
Desired profile: a motivated individual who manifests an interest in new technologies and adapts well to them.
- Significant interest in analytical work and logic
- Methodical and strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong interest in research and creation
- Ability to adapt to different situations
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing
- Strong ability to work in a team
What the program at John Abbott College offers?
- Over 600 hours of training in the development of mobile applications.
- A learning environment in a lab setting which promotes a hands-on approach.
- Teachers who are knowledgeable with respect to current trends in the development of mobile applications.
- Support in securing an internship placement.
- Career development workshops to support your transition to the labor market.
The Mobile Application Development program falls under the National Occupation Code for Computer Programmers and Interactive Media Developers (NOC 2174). According to the most recent data available for Montreal, Quebec, the employment outlook is excellent for the period 2019-2023.
Additionally, the program encompasses some elements of the work function belonging to the National Occupation code for Web Designers and Developers (NOC 2175). Similarly, the employment outlook in Montreal is excellent, during the same period.
Emploi-Québec, IMT en ligne, downloaded August 10, 2021
Courses & Schedule
Duration of Program
Day Schedule - Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 12 p.m. & 12:30 -2:30 p.m. (30 minute break)
Afternoon Schedule - Monday to Friday, 3:00 – 5:30 p.m. & 6:00 - 8:30 p.m. (30 minute break)
* ALL COURSES ARE OFFERED IN AN ONLINE &/OR HYBRID LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
Courses will be offered in a hybrid format, with adjustments for onsite classes, adhering to the public health directives.
Hybrid learning format will require students to be present, on campus, for a portion of the program- details are unique to each course and will be presented once confirmed by the program committee.
Consists of 17 credit courses:
|581-714-AB||Infographic elements for mobile applications||45|
|420-715-AB||Introduction to programming||60|
|420-718-AB||Client-side web programming||60|
|420-719-AB||Server-side web programming||60|
|420-732-AB||Native Applications with Android 1||60|
|420-733-AB||Native Applications with Android 2||60|
|420-730-AB||Development of Progressive Web Applications||60|
|420-734-AB||Mobile Application Development with iOS 1||60|
|420-735-AB||Mobile Application Development with iOS 2||60|
|420-731-AB||Related Technologies for Multiplatform Applications||90|
|420-725-AB||Integration into the labour market||45|
|420-726-AB||Mobile Application design||45|
- Fulfill AEC admission requirements
- Submit a CV and a letter of intent to demonstrate some basic programming knowledge and experience
- CST5 Sec. V Mathematics Cultural, Social and Technical (regular math) OR
- TS4 Sec. IV Mathematics Technical & Scientific Option (advanced math) OR
- SN4 Sec. IV Mathematics Science Option (advanced math) OR equivalent
- Written and spoken English
- Working knowledge of French an asset
- Testing required:
– Logic and problem-solving skills
- Interview by the Selection Committee
Recommendations for minimal hardware configuration
Please note that the bandwidth capacity may vary depending on the density of the multimedia experience. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to have a standard high-speed connection (5MB/s) to benefit fully from the online experience.
- Internet Connection – 50 megabits per second (Mbps) download and 25 Mbps upload speeds (This will allow for less disruption during your online courses).
- CPU: Intel Core i5 or i7; or Apple M1 or higher.
- Display: 13 inch (a second screen is recommended, but not necessary).
- RAM: 16 GB minimum
|Registration fee||117$ per semester (4 semesters)|
|Aptitude Testing - Application period||75$|
|Books, Hardware & Softwares||500$ approx. - subject to change|
|Parking||if required: $24 per month (Day only - free after 5 p.m.)|
- This program has been developed by College Ahuntsic
- Note that all courses are offered in English only