The program is currently under revision. Our next program is expected to start on or after November 25, 2021, pending the Board of Governors approval of the revised program.
We are not accepting applications at the moment. To be notified once start date is announced, please complete the following form:
Next Session: November 25, 2021
Next Info Session
Currently there are no more information sessions being offered.
Virtual Zoom Meeting (link to be confirmed via email)
Full-time Program - Attestation d’Études Collégiales (AEC) LEA.CB
The market for mobile application development is constantly growing. An increase in the number of smartphone users has translated into a dramatic surge in the number of apps being used by consumers.
This program, leading to the Attestation d’études collégiales, provides specialized training to meet the increasing needs for labour in this sector. Students will receive hands-on training in the development of mobile apps, establishing the foundation necessary to develop native and web-based apps, both on the iOS and Android mobile platforms.
Objectives of the program
By the end of this program, the student will be able to:
- Design the architecture of a mobile application
- Develop a mobile application
- Organize the information required in the context of mobile devices
- Manage the migration of an application between different platforms
- Plan the development of the mobile version of a website
- Ensure the quality of the application
- Release the mobile application into the market
Is this program right for me?
In order to succeed in this program, selected candidates will require basic programming skills.
Desired profile: a motivated individual who manifests an interest in new technologies and adapts well to them.
- Significant interest in analytical work and logic
- Methodical and strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong interest in research and creation
- Ability to adapt to different situations
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing
- Strong ability to work in a team
What the program at John Abbott College offers?
- Over 600 hours of training in the development of mobile applications.
- A learning environment in a lab setting which promotes a hands-on approach.
- Teachers who are knowledgeable with respect to current trends in the development of mobile applications.
- Support in securing an internship placement.
- Career development workshops to support your transition to the labor market.
THIS IS A TUITION FEE FREE PROGRAM FUNDED BY EMPLOI QUÉBEC. To be considered for the program, you must be accepted through Emploi Québec. Visit your local Emploi Québec office and make an appointment with an agent.
According to Gartner, “mobility has passed the tipping point and is now the new normal. Mobile apps are now an essential technology for any business looking to compete” (Mobile Application Strategies Primer for 2017). The Information and Communications Technology Council (ICTC), in its 2014 report “The Appification of everything: Canada’s Apps Economy Value Chain”, stated that Quebec is a significant apps development hub, with approximately 14,000 jobs.
Although a tremendous amount of data is available on the employment outlook for the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) sector in general, recent information on employment in mobile apps development specifically is sparse, as it falls under the larger ICT umbrella. According to the ICTC, in 2016 there were 192,900 ICT workers in Montreal, and this figure increased from 177,600 from 2015 (e-talent Canada).
Randstad recently reported that entry-level mobile developers in Montreal can expect to earn $50,000 to $70,000 annually (Randstad 2018 Professional Salary Guide, p. 81).
Courses & Schedule
Duration of Program
* ALL COURSES ARE OFFERED IN AN ONLINE ENVIRONMENT
Consists of 10 credit courses:
|581-714-AB||Infographic elements for mobile applications||45|
|420-715-AB||Introduction to programming||60|
|420-718-AB||Client-side web programming||60|
|420-719-AB||Server-side web programming||60|
|420-725-AB||Integration into the labour market||45|
|420-726-AB||Mobile application design||45|
|420-727-AB||Multi-platform application development||60|
- Fulfill AEC admission requirements
- Submit a CV and a letter of intent to demonstrate some basic programming knowledge and experience
- CST5 Sec. V Mathematics Cultural, Social and Technical (regular math) OR
- TS4 Sec. IV Mathematics Technical & Scientific Option (advanced math) OR
- SN4 Sec. IV Mathematics Science Option (advanced math) OR equivalent
- Written and spoken English
- Working knowledge of French an asset
- Testing required:
– Logic and problem-solving skills
- Interview by the Selection Committee
|Parking||if required: $24 per month (Day only - free after 5 p.m.)|
- This program has been developed by College Ahuntsic
- Note that all courses are offered in English only
- THIS PROGRAM IS CURRENTLY UNDER REVISION