Program has been revised.
New program details will be presented at the information session.
October 24th, 2022* subject to change
This is a MINISTRY (M.E.E.S.) FUNDED PROGRAM (Ministère de l'Éducation Ministère de l'Enseignement supérieur). Although this is not a Services-Québec purchased program, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance through your local Services-Quebec office. If eligible, ask an agent to list you under our general contract # 588483-0.
Program length - Full-Time - Daytime
- 13 months, approx.
- 1,215 hours
- 4 semesters & 1 Stage
Monday, September 19th 2022 @ 3pm
Thursday, September 22nd 2022 @ 10am
It is mandatory to attend an information session in order to be considered a serious candidate for the program.
Sign up below
Program Delivery - Hybrid learning
HYBRID learning format will require students to be present, on campus, for a portion of the program- details are unique to each course and will be presented once confirmed by the program committee.Sign up for an information session
The objective of the program is to provide well-rounded, hands-on, and up-to-date training for individuals that wish to access entry-level positions in the accounting field.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Explain business practices and laws relevant to the field of accounting in Canada and Quebec.
- Use traditional and emerging technologies to improve productivity.
- Apply procedures throughout the accounting cycle using cloud-based applications and desktop software.
- Analyze financial data in order to inform the decision-making process.
- Prepare personal and corporate income taxes and payroll, in compliance with current federal and provincial guidelines.
- Use strategies to adapt to the workplace.
- Practice professional and ethical behaviors.
- Collaborate effectively with various team members, using soft skills that are appropriate to a business and accounting environment.
These courses will introduce you to the principles and concepts in the business world and will provide you with an overall view of your role in various types of organizations. From how to communicate effectively with customers to the legislation involved in business practices and decision-making, you will gain knowledge and confidence as an accounting technician in navigating today’s business world.
This group of courses begins with an introduction to accounting and finance, with each subsequent course exploring the concepts and practices from a more in-depth and complex perspective. From preparing manual accounting reports to learning the intricacies of federal and provincial tax regulations and preparing for an audit, you will be able to execute a variety of accounting tasks while understanding the impact of your actions on different types of organizations.
The use of computers in today’s business world is essential; this group of courses will build on your existing computer skills, focusing on the Microsoft Office suite. Once the basics have been mastered, you will learn more specialized and up-to-date accounting, spreadsheet, and database software that is used in most organizations.
- Explain current business and accounting practices.
- Produce financial calculations.
- Interpret federal and provincial laws relevant to the field of accounting.
- Use software and applications in a virtual and in-person business environment.
- Apply effective communication techniques.
- Prepare to integrate into the labour market.
- Process accounting and financial information using software and applications.
- Apply financial accounting techniques.
- Apply internal control and fraud prevention mechanisms.
- Execute management accounting operations.
- Prepare income tax returns in compliance with current federal and provincial guidelines.
- Process payroll in compliance with current federal and provincial guidelines.
- Apply financial management and forecasting techniques.
- Apply program-related knowledge and skills in a professional environment.
According to the government of Canada, the employment outlook for graduates is very favorable. Job prospects are very interesting in the greater Montreal area.
Small and medium enterprises as well as large companies are constantly looking for qualified individuals to perform different accounting tasks using computerized tools.
For more information in the job outlook, please consult the following website : www.jobbank.gc.ca
Examples of Occupational Titles:
- Accounts payable or receivable clerk
- Payroll or accounting clerk
- Accounting technician
- Assistant to the controller
Courses & Schedule
Monday to Friday 09:00-16:00
The program is offered over four (4) semesters – 12/13 months (including training in class and an 6-week work term in industry).
* ALL COURSES ARE OFFERED IN A HYBRID FORMAT
Students should anticipate a portion of their classes to be in person, on Campus.
List of Courses
Consists of 16 credit courses
|Course number||Course Title||Hours|
|410-A65-AB||Introduction to the accounting profession||75|
|420-A01-AB||Introduction to computer applications for business||45|
|410-A67-AB||Legal and ethical aspects in business and accounting||45|
|410-A68-AB||Advanced spreadsheets for business||120|
|410-A70-AB||Accounting I: Bookkeeping and financial accounting||120|
|410-A71-AB||Integration into the labour market||45|
|410-A72-AB||Accounting II: Managerial and cost accounting||90|
|410-A73-AB||Personal and corporate taxes||75|
|410-A74-AB||Desktop accounting applications||60|
|410-A75-AB||Cloud-based accounting applications||60|
|410-A79-AB||Internship (6 weeks)||210|
- Fulfill AEC admission requirements
- Submit a cv and letter of intent
- Mathematics SN4 (Sec. IV Mathematics Science Option), or equivalent
- Interview with the Selection Committee
- A working knowledge of French and English is an asset
- Attend a mandatory information session
|Application Fee||$30.00 (non-refundable)|
|Registration Fee||$117.00 per semester for all Quebec residents *additional fees will apply for out of province students|
|Textbooks or supplies||$800 - $1,200 approximately (subject to change)|